Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Why Can't I Fix It?

I like to fix things.  I am, by trade, a repair man, a Field Service Engineer.  When something is broken I get paid to go fix it.  If you give me a manual, some tools, and a general explanation of how something works there is a very good chance that I can figure out a way to make it work again.  Except when it comes to my wife, not "her" per-say, but struggles or issues she may be going through.  Maybe that's because I wasn't given a manual when I got married.  Hey, that's a good idea, someone should write the manual "How To Fix All Her Problems In Seven Easy Steps!"

As a husband and a "fixer" I want to be able to fix it when she comes to me with an issue.  It truly pains me to see her upset!  No, I didn't say she was a pain.  It hurts me when she hurts.  Early in our marriage, those times when she came to me and she was obviously hurting, I wanted her to tell me what I could do to fix it.  It took a while, and a few times of her telling me, for me to realize that she just wanted to be heard, to have someone there by her side, to hold her, and comfort her.  She knew that there was nothing I could really do to make it better right then, but hearing me say that I understood and wanted to help her, that I would be there with her through whatever she was going through, was exactly what she needed.  So I had to learn that the fixer can't always fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment