Saturday, January 4, 2014

Not Worth Broccoli

We got to go out on a little lunch date before we ran to the grocery store today! Since hubby works out of town so often, it gets a bit tricky to get away for alone time. It was especially sweet since I had just expected to hit the store and get the necessary shopping done. I really loved that husband suggested the impromptu meal! 

As we sat at Panera, and I enjoyed my broccoli and cheddar soup, I said, "I really don't understand why you don't want broccoli in your potato soup at home." 

"Because I don't particularly like broccoli." 

"Yes, I know, but that is why it is such a good option. You don't even taste the broccoli because it is all covered up with the good stuff!"

Husband just stares at me. 

"You still taste the broccoli, huh?"

Husband shakes his head yes. 

Hmph. 

"If I am going to eat a bowl of potato soup, then I want to ENJOY the potatoes without the over-powering taste of broccoli. I'll just keep the broccoli separate and suffer through it on the side."

See...these are seemingly little things that could turn into big deals. I know some women who would think, "Tough mister!" and throw the broccoli in his soup anyway. 

Not me. 

One of the things I use to hear about marriage was that you give 50 percent and he gives 50 percent. 

Then one day I heard someone say, "We don't give 50/50 in our marriage. We give 100/100."

That resonated within me. THAT made sense! I believe one of the reasons my husband and I enjoy a good and happy marriage is because we discussed this and made a decision to give completely of ourselves, holding no selfless love back. I serve him and he serves me.

Love in action. 

It's beautiful. And it's not worth broccoli spoiling it :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment